Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Louise Penny and flowers

I have always adored mystery books.  Once I discovered Agatha, Ellis Peters, and now Louise Penny I cannot rest if there is a new book I have not read.  My friend LW told me about Penny and her detective Chief Inspector of the Surete in Montreal Canada, Armand Gamache and his quiet village just south of Montreal, Three Pines where more murders happen than should for a town that size.
But it is not all just about who "done it." Her character development and understanding of human capabilities both good and bad make for a deeply satisfying read.  From her first title Still Life to the newest How the Light Gets In you are deeply involved in these peoples lives.  I was lucky enough to see that she was doing a book signing in Raleigh at Quail Ridge Bookstore last Friday night and with three friends who share a love of reading we took off.  I was enchanted with Louise Penny from her first words to her last and when she signed my book I was content.  This had to be a top ten experience for me.  I felt this way even more after last night when I finished the new book.
I want to share with you how the title came about.  It is from a poem/song by Leonard Cohen-"Anthem."

Ring the bells that still can ring,
Forget your perfect offering,
There's a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

Anyway if you love a good mystery and character development here it is.

Finally the back is better and I have felt like sewing.  Here are the two stitcher's garden blocks from Tuesday's class.

The little one on the bottom should have had rick rack around the bigger flower but I don't do rick rack.   Only three more months!!!!!
Going to P's to quilt tomorrow.  Will work on Confetti quilt squares and maybe snowmen blocks.
Mystery quilting
Sally

No comments:

Post a Comment